Exclamation New to Frillies, with a concern..

Hello and Good morning from Canada folks,

I have had my baby Frilled Dragon for about 6 days now, I received (her) from a local fellow. She looked fantastic when I got her, good weight & length. Eating insects like a tank, and will take the occasional finely chopped veggies. She has a pretty good disposition. She is roughly 7-8" long, and I have yet to see her frill up at anything.

Now this is my problem...

I was going through my normal morning routine, turned everybody's lights on and a little while later I went in to give them their morning snack, and as I am feeding the Frilly I notice (she) has a little bit of icky stuff in the corner of her right eye and was holding it shut. Upon closer inspection it looked more like the eye was slightly glued shut from the gross fluid. I tried to pick her up, and usually she is pretty relaxed when I approach her right. Anyway she is very flighty this morning, compared to her usual self. She wouldn't let me pick her up to get a real close look at it, and I didn't want to stress her out so I just let her be and now that brings me here.

What can I do to help this infection? I mean, I am thinking about giving her a little soak in the tub and trying to gently wash away whatever is stuck there. But that isn't really a solution. Is there anything over-the-counter that I can use to safely treat her eye at home? Its not a full-blown infection by any means, but it needs to be dealt with before it escalates into one. I had someone on another forum recommend Antibiotic-Free Polysporin Eye Drops (they had previously used it on a Bearded Dragon who had an eye irritation and said their eye infection cleared up in 2 days using this treatment)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am prepared to make the 3 1/2 hour trip to the vet if it comes down to that, no problem. But to be completely honest I haven't ever had an issue with any of my reptiles eyes, so I am a little oblivious on what I should do.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, Cheers!
    Last edited by Willow; 01-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.
    ~ 0.0.1 - C. Kingii ~
    ~ 0.1.0 - P. Cocincinus ~
    ~ 0.0.2 - A. Carolinensis ~
    ~ 1.2.0 - P. Regius Morphs ~

Default Re: New to Frillies, with a concern..

I'm sitting here wondering if a Saline Solution would be an option?
    ~ 0.0.1 - C. Kingii ~

Welcome to the forum! What kind of UVB do you have? The eye issue could be linked to the UVB, substrate or some sort of infection. Was there discharge in any other spots like the nose and mouth? Soaking should help temporarily as should saline drops. I always like to stay on the cautious side and recommend the vet. Do you know what kind f UVB the previous owner used?

If you are offering crickets, check for uneaten crickets in the cage. My vet says that crickets usually go for the eyes due to the moisture and softer scales. He says the back of the knees are popular as well.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome, and the information everyone.

I am currently using a Compact Tube UVB, I'm not 100% on the brand or name but I will look into it. The previous owner barely provided any information about her, Just the types of veggies he had been offering and the type of substrate she was on. He didn't say a work about whether or not she was getting proper UVB. I try not to feed my reptiles in their enclosures, as I would hate to see any complications from impaction. Most times, they are removed and placed in an empty 65Gallon Flexarium during feeding time.

Occasionally, when I have the time to kill, I will feed them by hand or with thongs (which ensures there are no crickets running around their terrariums) I have heard some horror-stories about crickets left unattended in a reptiles cage.. So since day one I have avoided any left over bugs in the enclosures. So I really don't think that the crickets are chewing on her lol. I gave her a soak in the tub, and loosened up the icky stuff enough to gently wipe it away with a Q-Tip. She was also lapping up drops of water off the tip of my finger, So I think she got some relief from the soak and we had a little bonding-time too.

I have kept a close eye on her all day, and since her bath I haven't seen any more discharge and she doesn't seem to be as restless as before. I am hoping it was just a small particle of substrate that was stuck in there and washed out. When I get some spare time tonight I am going to clean out her terrarium and replace the Eco-Earth with something a little more 'eye friendly' - Jungle-Earth. The pieces of this bedding are larger, and therefor I am thinking harder to get stuck in ones eye Haha.
    ~ 0.0.1 - C. Kingii ~

Your compact UVB may play a role in the eye trouble. Many people have issues with them and they are known to cause eye problems depending which brand. There are som suitable ones but most are crap

hey welcome to the forum. If you find that its your uvb bulb that is the problem and had to get a new one you might want to look at petinsanity.com. they have reptisun 10.0 18inch tube lights for 22.50 which is the cheapest I've found online. #6 inch is actually cheaper also. They have them at petmountain.com for 25 I think. At petinsanity you do have to pay for shipping but at petmountain if you spend over 60 you can get free shipping. Hope everything checks out with your frillies eye problems. I know what its like to have to drive a long way to get to a qualified herp vet. I had to drive two hours to a vet on a friday then I had to go back on monday because my frillie wasnt improving. Can you post a picture of it?

Thankya for the welcome! I'll have to take a peak at those sites and see what I can find. So just to clarify, Which are the types of UVB bulbs that can cause eye problems? Now that I think about it, I recall seeing something on a website that mentioned a certain type of bulb had been causing problems but I can't seem to remember where I had read it and which type of bulb they were referencing. I am all the way up in Canada, do you know off-hand if either of those 2 sites will ship internationally?

That would be pretty awesome if they did, A UVB bulb in my hometown will cost me upwards of $50+. Its totally criminal. Even a 15W Coil UVB is $25, and the price just keeps going up as the wattage goes up lol. There is only one pet store here in town, so they have no competition and they can get away with the outrageous prices. I have to drive over 3 hours to get to the nearest Big City, so buying my supplies at the local shop is one of my only options. I never really thought of ordering them online, but that could be incredibly convenient if it worked out.

As of right now I only have a Flip Mino video camera & a 1.3MP cell phone camera, both of which don't pick up much detail at all. I can definitely try and get some close ups though, Its almost lights out for everyone around here so if I'm lucky I can sneak a picture or video before the timer trips Haha.
    ~ 0.0.1 - C. Kingii ~

Just a side-note, I am really loving the lay-out of this Forum. I have been a member of several others for quite some time, but I think this one takes the cake. Plus there aren't many reptile forums that are specific to just one species, but this Forum is dedicated to Frilled Dragons, which makes it so much easier to connect to people who share the same interests. Out of all the other Forums I belong to, This is the only one where I have gotten any responses to my questions about Frilled Dragons. Even my Local Forum turned up nothing. I guess not many people here in Alberta own Frillies, that or they don't have internet access Lol.

I think this very well may be my Forum of choice!
    ~ 0.0.1 - C. Kingii ~

I checked with petmountain they only ship in the US sorry that kind of stinks. I'm not sure about petinsanity. reptilesupply.com says they ship internationally to canada so I would also check them out. They have the reptisun 10.0 bulb which is the one I use for my frilled and beared dragon for 25.80. Hope this helps