Default Ways to play/interact with frilled dragons?

Has anyone found ways to interact with your frillie that are similar to playing a game? I am considering trying to get Drake to stick his frill out when he is calm for a treat. I haven't found out what he likes for a treat other than his crickets/squash/apricots.

Default Re: Ways to play/interact with frilled dragons?

You can always try hornworms. They LOVEEE those 99.9% of the time. Making them frill usually means inducing some sort of stress. You could try getting him to recognize his name? They are intelligent but I'm not sure they are capable of doing "tricks" You could also try target training. I've seen it done with other lizards

yeah mine goes MENTAL for horned worms.. too bad they are so damn expensive lol.. soon as he sees them he will claw at his glass and go crazy!

Thanks for the advise. I'll try hornworms and target training. Recognizing his name is a good start too.

In playing with Drake, I found that trying to get him to stand up on command may be a good goal as frilled dragons do that already naturally.

Another thing I have noticed is that he is ridiculously facinated with the metal DDR pad. It's leaning up against the wall and he keeps trying to climb it. I finally flipped it around so it only shows the black mat on the back. Does anyone else's lizards or other pets have obsessions with household objects?

mine likes his blanket on a box in the living room... always climbs on it and sleeps at night when hes out lol

We have a 2 year old female that frills and tail whips at the sight of a wrapped roll of Costco TP. After some testing, it turns out she is freaked out by that shade of blue.

Drake hates it when I wear my turquoise bathrobe. I also had an male anole, Zeus who used to challenge an orange dish sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by frillielover17 View Post
    You can always try hornworms. They LOVEEE those 99.9% of the time. Making them frill usually means inducing some sort of stress. You could try getting him to recognize his name? They are intelligent but I'm not sure they are capable of doing "tricks" You could also try target training. I've seen it done with other lizards
    Tonight I noticed that Drake moves his head and looks at me each time I call his name! He even jumped onto me once, but that may have been him trying to move around to the other side of tank (outside). I have started to teach him to run up a carpeted cat ramp so that he can get in and out of his cage at will. This will prevent me getting into a cycle of letting him out after he is scratching at the glass, then having him want to go back in, followed immediatly by him scratching at the glass to get out again.

He still doesn't understand glass though, so when he gets to the top of the ramp, he tries to dive through the top of the glass tank, rather than walk over the edge into the tank. He did better when I blocked the glass off.